Tibetan Language Study Programme
Shang Shung Institute announces a new Tibetan Language Study Programme
An exciting new initiative, the Tibetan Study Programme, is aimed to give an intensive introduction to Tibetan language as part of the Ka-ter Translation Project.
For a number of years, we held similar courses at Merigar. As it is not always easy to travel to Merigar, this programme was devised so that interested students can study in their own country under the guidance of a qualified visiting teacher. This allows for much greater flexibility for the students. The course will take place in two stages to meet the needs of the participants.
A. The first part, a three day course, is designed to enable reading and correct pronunciation and also to give an overview of the language. It covers the following:
- The importance and beauty of the Tibetan language.
- The structure of the language; grammar as a sacred science; Dharma Language (chos skad).
- Sanskrit and Tibetan.
- The alphabet; the relationship between signs and sounds; basic reading skills with reference to texts of practice if the course is restricted to practitioners, otherwise reference is to more general texts; notes on Sanskrit letters and pronunciation.
- Presentation of available materials for the study of Tibetan language.
B. The second part, which is a four day course, establishes a firm basis for further study of the language and actual translation. After completing this course, students are now qualified take part in future Tibetan Translation Trainings. The four day course covers:
- Translation: history, principles, techniques and problems.
- The question of technical Dharma language.
- Syllables, words, sentences and discourse.
- Names (ming tshig) and Connectors or Particles (tshig phrad).
- The eight cases of Tibetan grammar.
- Connectors or Particles not related with case.
- Examples and exercises.
Proposed daily schedule:
Morning: 10.00 to 12.30;
Afternoon 15.00 to 17.30
Participants will be equipped with and instructed on all the available Tibetan open source software required for Tibetan type-setting, dictionary use and so forth. It is advisable, although not necessary, that students already know the Tibetan alphabet. If necessary, preliminary learning sessions can be organised through the internet in collaboration with students of past translation courses.
Following the first course, students will need to study alone at home.
The second course can be arranged at a later date, depending on the commitment and available time of the students.
In Europe: Minimum of 7 participants
Outside Europe: Minimum of 10 participants
All participants have to be member of the International Shang Shung Institute.
165 Euro or 240 US Dollars for the 7 days lasting course.
No discounts apply for Ordinary and Sustaining Members. 10% discount applies for Meritorious Members of the Shang Shung Institute.
The Tibetan language courses will be held by Dr. Fabian Sanders from the University of Venice.
The Organiser of courses:
- needs to find a suitable place for study,
- needs to take care of accommodation and food for the teacher,
- needs to take care of transport for the teacher from/to the airport, and from/to the hotel to the place of study.
All Communities, Lings and groups interested in organising such courses are invited to contact the Shang Shung Institute if they require any further details. Contact person: Oliver Leick firstname.lastname@example.org